Today I am sharing the video tutorial of the T-shirt yarn DIY. I am not that happy with the video, I definitely need some more practice shooting! But it should help to illustrate the steps for how to make continuous t-shirt yarn. I’ve listed the steps below for reference again.
T-shirt Yarn DIY by Francine Clouden from Francine Clouden on Vimeo.
1. Spread your t-shirt out on your cutting surface – a table or even the floor – and smooth it out so there are as few wrinkles or parts of the fabric bunching up as possible. Also make sure that the hemline is lined up properly, front and back.
2. Cut the hem off.
3. Cut across the body of the shirt as close as possible to the sleeves.
4. Now grab one edge and fold it over to the other, leaving about one inch of space between them.
5. Get your scissors and starting at the fold, cut strips at least one inch apart. Stop cutting just as you cut through the edge at the top, leaving that inch border uncut.
6. Now unfold and loosen up the strips, and it’s time to make it into one looooong strip!
7. Cut as shown along the uncut portion in the middle. Start at the edge and cut diagonally from the outside at the right to the first split at the left. Then from the next split on the right, to the second split on the left all the way through to the end. These are all separate cuts, not one long cut. You’ll end up with a long strip of t-shirt fabric
8. To make it into yarn, all you have to do is pull that strip, and the knit fabric will just curl itself up! Pull along the entire length, then roll into a ball.
Enjoy! if you have any questions, drop me a line in the comments.
1 thought on “Video | How to Make Continuous T-Shirt Yarn”
I did it! So happy you shared this since I’m still trying to find the best way to make a bunch of masks when supplies are limited : )